I have all three of her novels and am thinking about picking it up. She is sort of my hero, as she is doing a bunch of seemingly-unconnected entrepreneurial shizz, and doing it really well, which is sort of what I want to do. Also, for someone who got her start on reality TV, she seems to have a pretty good head on her shoulders.
(Oh noes, I just read that she and Kyle Howard broke up!)
Flights from Cincinnati to ATL are really pricey. What is the point of both of us living near hubs of the worst airline ever if it doesn’t equal cheap flights?
Meanwhile we are not in a snuggle relationship anymore so cannot ask his conglomeratastic employer to fly one of us to the other.
I love you, summer television.
- Seeing Monte Carlo this weekend.
- Renting Beastly from Amazon Video, probably also this weekend.
I love terrible movies!
No joke, there are tears in my eyes. I had a great day today, so no external factors here. I am just that disappointed.
Next he’ll be telling me he enjoys contemporary philosopher Tucker Max.
I KNEW OHIO SUCKED THE WHOLE TIME.
In college my friend Lib and I would describe people we found dull as “so Ohio.”
Sarz to anyone awesome from Ohio.
Oh man. So like any dude want to fight with me about feminism right now? Or maybe you want to defend certain pop culture icons and their misogyny? Or say “I’m pro-choice, but well I voted Republican because of the budget and fiscal issues, because those are the moral issues facing our country”? Or maybe “yeah but was she drunk”? Or like the dude I fought with the other day, ya wanna tell me “maternity leave isn’t really a right”?
Oh oh! Why don’t you tell me I should chill out and not take it so seriously? That uh no, no one will take away my right to an abortion! DUH. Silly woman!
DO YOU? Because if you’d like to fight right now, I’m feeling it. Because it’s shit like this that proves that holy shit, there is a war on women and children! And to deny it and offer platitudes about well “I vote Republican but none of the people I voted for are trying to pass those bills. No they’re trying to fix this damn economy.” Well FUCK THAT, noise. You’re either with us (feminists) or against us and I’m tired of the half-assery.
I wasted two hours today not finding Trader Joe’s. I had big plans to load up my freezer with Mojito Salmon and veggies and basically be set for the next eight weeks. Instead we are back to Newman’s Own pizza for dinner tonight. I am not happy. (It’s delicious but I am trying to be healthy.)
e.g., working out five days a week. I’m thinking about buying a scale because I am motivated by absolutes. But I am SO TIRED from transitioning from student schedule to working full-time. I was probably asleep by 10 last night and I didn’t wake up until 1:30 p.m. today (I’m usually up by 7:30 on weekends).
But all I care about is laying out by the pool and reading Lauren Conrad novels. The motivation just isn’t there. And even though I am usually an early riser, I’ve been so tired since I started working that getting up early enough to work out before work is probably not happening.
Women be killin’!
I am going to need to make some money, because Oliver doesn’t pay his share of the rent.
1. Always carry cash. Whenever I go to brunch wif my friendz, everybody pulls out 3,000 of their finest credit cards and chucks them at the table. Somebody will figure it out, we all battle cry. Then we burp at the check, stare at each other while blinking, and see if we can stiff each other a dollar on the tip. Oh we forgot TAX! Later on, I get stuck at some bar with a 30 dollar card minimum and have to get 46 rum and cokes and start dry humping everybody to NeYo because I forget to carry a 20. Or I sort of want to pay a cab to take me home because I am wearing 8 inch heels with blisters the size of the dough bubbles on pizza crust. Where is my cash? Why is it in this little plastic card? We should all solve our problems, go to a bank, and take out forty bucks. Be a responsible adult! Blow your money in paper form!
2. Listen to your goddamn gut. It knows what it is there for. If you can’t or won’t listen to that, listen to your momma or your best friend.
3. Wait for it. Wait for somebody who is perfect for you. I don’t care how long you’ve been alone, or how many times you can make excuses for somebody who makes you feel bad but you sort of like. Wait for somebody who is good to you. I don’t give a shit if they make you giggle laugh, because if they give you that empty ‘i’m not hungry’ feeling in your stomach when they forget to call, they are not fucking worth it. They are never worth your bathroom tears or your constant ‘what do you think it means’ barrage to your friends. You are worth it. You are stupidly cool/sometimes lame but you have a human pulse and you don’t kill people and you deserve to be happy. Maybe this person will take forever, maybe it will take till next week. Who knows when they will get this lazy ass off the couch and come find you? However, until then, don’t put up with bullshit. Don’t put up with the bad feelings. Just go do your own thing until somebody fits your puzzle piece. It’ll be something for the books. Don’t fucking settle for anything less.
4. Stop texting and call them.
5. Stop being so cynical. Smile on the subway, or when you’re walking down the street, or when you are on the line at the supermarket. Be happy. Try to look forward to something. Usually I walk around with a frowny fuck face because I can’t be bothered with anybody, but on certain occasions I walk around with a crazy shit grin on my face because it makes me feel good and nice. Smiling makes you feel okay. Try to do it as often as you can, and try to make yourself feel like what you’re doing is exactly what you want to do at the time. Listen, I usually say boring expected stuff for a girl with glasses, such as: I hate people and Everything fucking sucks. Still, every once and a while I need to feel idiotically happy and optimistic. I need to feel as if Cinderella birds are making my bed and I am pretty and floating on cotton candy air. Because you simply can’t be pissed off all the fucking time. It’s just not healthy for you.
6. Turn off your computer for a fucking second.
7. Be grateful for what you have. I have friends. I have friends who I want to sit on every roof in the world and just talk with, I have a pretty cool pair of shorts, and adorable Corgis exist in the world. I usually just sit around and whine for all the things I don’t have, or all the things I could have, and I eventually overshadow all the great wonderful I have going on. Like hummus! Hummus is so good! And so what if I have a couple of ingrown hairs? Or some shitbag I can’t text on the reg? There’s just way more things I could be whining about, like drinking wine.
8. Eat till you’re full. Eat when you’re hungry.
9. Love being with yourself. Get to know you and sort of like it. Try not to surround yourself with people all the time. Have inside jokes with yourself, or tv shows you only like watching by yourself. Get to know all of the things you enjoy, all the things you hate, and keep those for future reference.
10. Your past is for learning. Your future has nothing to do with your past mistakes, except for the things you learn and know and try not to carry too heavily.
11. Everybody’s got their own shit. You’re never alone.
12. Read more books.
13. Give more compliments.
14. Dance like an idiot when it is appropriate.
15. Wash your hands when you get home, or just generally wash your hands.
16. Read the news.
17. Say what you mean as often as possible.
18. Realize you have only one tiny life to live, and you should just do things you are scared of and things you love and things that just make you feel good.
19. Laugh at everything. Seriously, just fucking laugh a lot and as much as possible.
20. Oh, and eat your veggies, say ‘I love you’ and brake for squirrels.
This is all stuff I’ve heard before, but it’s always nice to be reminded. Number three is especially speaking to me right now.
Usually these lists are terrible, but this one is pretty good.
I want to go this weekend. I had given up because the flights are exorbitant, but then I realized I have the miles to cover the flights (thanks, Japan/Hawaii). It’s my friend Court’s birthday, plus Eric’s in town, plus it’s my cousin’s high school graduation party and I think it would mean a lot to him if I were there. Plus I need to get to NYC before August 4 anyway because I will be verily disappointed if I miss the McQueen exhibit at the Met.
Cons: I am tired from jobbing and I don’t have anywhere to stay on Saturday night.
I will probably just stay here.
Today none of the jokers on the show got it right.
First of all, my feelings about Claire Danes are basically the opposite of my feelings about Angela Chase.
Second of all, her lashes are terrifying.
every. single. night.